Successful installation of telemetric groundwater monitoring network in the Kingdom of Eswatini from a distance of over 10,000 km
Umwelt- und Ingenieurtechnik GmbH Dresden (UIT) has successfully installed and operated a groundwater monitoring network together with the Groundwater Division of the Government of Eswatini despite the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and the associated travel restrictions.
The project aims to guide and inform the national groundwater monitoring program by generating data and information in real time, and therefore support the decision-making processes in planning, development and management of water resources according to the IWRM principles.
The measurement technology supplied, which consists of sensors for measuring conductivity, water temperature, water level and a data logger with an integrated telemetry unit, was able to score above all with its simple operation and the bi-directional communication of the telemetry. This made it possible to access the systems remotely and to carry out the correct system settings such as calibration.
Initial doubts and concerns as to whether such a virtual installation could even be carried out from a distance of over 10,000 km were quickly dispelled. Thanks to robust and easy-to-use CDT-GPRS compact systems, motivated and committed people on the part of the Groundwater Division and UIT, this installation was made a success.
Even last work is currently being carried out the Government of Eswatini has now a modern groundwater monitoring network in place which promotes the improvement of the cooperation and the cross-border management of aquifers with neighbouring countries.
A major advantage of the monitoring network is that in addition to systematic protection against exhaustion and pollution of the aquifers, in particular through anthropogenic activities, quasi real-time data on the status of the national groundwater resources are available. The use of data loggers from the LogTrans family with integrated telemetry and alarm functions can also reduce the manual data collection services that have been a standard routine up to now.
Characteristics of measurement system:
- Continuously monitoring and logging of water level fluctuations, temperature and conductivity
- All-in-one system including sensor, data logger and telemetry unit (2G/3G/4G, LoRaWAN™ or sigfox modem)
- Fits for in-well installations
- Simple to operate with optional SENSOapp interface using Bluetooth® wireless technology to communicate to your smart devices
- Remotely data access through either HTTP/HTTPS or FTP
- Compatible to SENSOweb web-based data visualisation and management system, or other platforms
- Event-based and customised scheduled sampling and transmission rates
- High quality 4-electrode conductivity sensor including multi-point calibrated conductivity ranges, with auto-ranging from 0 to 200,000 μS/cm
- Optional POM housing including hastelloy pressure sensor, provides corrosion resistance for use in brackish, or even saltwater
To request more information please e-mail us.
Latest modification: 14.11.2018